Monday, December 21, 2009

HE is the reason!!!

It was twenty-five years ago today that my eyes were opened more fully to the tue meaning of Christmas. Oh, I had felt it before but nothing like this day so long ago. I had forotten until in Sunday school class yesterday. Memories flooded my mind of Christmas' past This one brought tears to my eyes as I remembered those events.
All the preparations had been made and with only six days left until that big day, a tragedy hit the area. Paul was working an afternoon shift at Deer Creek when news came that Wilberg mine was on fire. He called me to tell me the news with very few details and that he would be late in getting home. It took until the next morning to hear that my cousin Phillip was one of those trapped. He and I had been close while growing up with our birthdays a day apart. News was sketchy at best. Even when Paul was sent over to the mine to work in the warehouse to aid in the rescue, he still couldn't pass on many details. We didn't see much of him.
Sunday morning, the 21st was bright and clear. Spirits hopeful and cheerful for our children's sake. Because of this the Oveson annual Christmas party was held. Kaye and Lydell were the hosts this year. Paul wasn't able to attend because he was still helping at the mine. Minutes before the party began Richard told me that he had heard there was an explosion at the mine. My heart skipped a beat. The warehouse was located underground. Paul was in the warehouse. Richard tried to assure me that he was safe but I wouldn't believe it until I heard from Paul. Even the kid's excitement couldn't stop the tears. Kaye had arranged for the granchildren to perform the Christmas nativity. It was then my mind and heart was touched with why we celebrate Christmas.
We celebrate His birth for without Him this earth life would be a waste. Families would mean nothing. He came to this earth to show us the way, to pay for our sins, to die so we can live again, to give this life purpose and meaning. Because of HIM and only HIM we can remain with our families forever. He is the reason for the season. He is the light that shines. He is the peace that each of us seek. The greatest gift we can receive or give is love, His love. I pray we all remember Him and reflect His light as the greatest gift we give this year.

Merry Christmas to all.

8 comments:

Uffda said...

thanks I needed that reminder!

Grimm Family blog said...

if that was 25 yrs ago is that melissa as a baby? Just wondering. Thanks for sharing your the best.

Mrs. Walker said...

Cyrena, I turn 25 this year, so maybe that was you?

What a great reminder Sandra. I'd never heard that story before.

PS: Post more old pictures. :) I like seeing Sara as a little toddler.

Toni Dee! said...

What a fun picture - I must say that's one cute little donkey :) Thanks for the reminder, lessons like those last the longest I think. Merry Christmas. We did an ice candle again this year and thanks to the strange Texas weather - it stayed frozen :) It's a wonderful tradition that I blame on you .. . . thankyou!!!

Cool Granny said...

I believe the baby is kimalee. And the reason that you dont see Dusty or myself there.... Dusty had chicken pox and I was great with child. (yes melisa!) And that was a great christmas to bring us all to remember what chrismtas is all about.

Sara said...

Hahaha, that is a new one for me! Awesome post Sandra!

Jessica said...

That is an awesome picture. I am with Mel... I love the old pictures. I can totally tell who everyone is! When we were down at moms last week we were talking about the Wilburg mine and how it was so long ago and remembering waking up every morning to the radio... waiting for any news. Please post more pictures from the past... it's so fun!

Meli O. said...

Oh my heck seth is a cute kiddo!! Hey by the way I wanted to let you know that we are headed to your neck of the woods...seth got a job with an accounting firm in price. Yea!!! We will be moving on the 9th and will be living with my parents till we can sell our house in denver...it happened super faster over holiday break so it is a fast pack and move sort of deal...but it will be great to see you guys more!!