Tuesday, September 29, 2009

We made it

When we first began I knew that we would be married for eternity but when I thought about thirty-five years, well I didn't think that I would be this old. Paul and I celebrated our anniversary on Sunday the 27th. When I think back to that day so long ago, but yet it seems as if it was yesterday, I remember two very scared kids who really didn't know what they were getting themselves into. Being in the temple didn't help matters. But it was a glorious and a wonderful feeling knowing that we could be together forever. The temple ceremony was a lot longer back in the day and by the time we were married and sealed my mind was spinning. I'm so grateful that I had Paul by my side and my parents right behind me. Paul and I have had our ups and downs over the years but then I don't know a couple who hasn't. Without the bad we wouldn't really be grateful for the good or even notice it? Through our trials we grow and can become stronger if we allow ourselves to do this. Since our anniversary was on a Sunday and we celebrated it with a couple of our children in Salt Lake, Mark and Tara blessed Donivan, we really couldn't do much. We tried to attend the Manti Temple on Saturday but we arrived to late and was told the temple was closed. I didn't like that feeling at all. It almost felt like we were told that we couldn't enter heaven and I guess in a way it was. So on Monday morning we attended the Provo Temple. Just to remember the covenants that we made so long ago gave both of us added strength. Also as we were on the session, it was the same time that an accident took our precious David from this earth life. I was thinking a lot about him, as I always do, and the thought entered my mind, I wonder where my life would be if he hadn't left us for this moment? At the time both Paul and I were inactive and not living up to the covenants we had made just a few short years earlier. Because of David's death I changed my life. I want to finish raising him. I pray that changing my life also helped my children's life by helping them draw closer to their Heavenly Father. Again trials help us to grow IF we allow them to. Paul and I went through this together and I know that it has strengthened us and helped us to grow closer together. I love Paul with all my heart and I'm so grateful for that day so long ago that sealed us together for eternity.

Sunday was a full day in and of it's self. Witnessing Mark giving his son his name and blessing was a witness to the power of repentance. Mark has come a long ways and I'm so proud of him. The blessing that he gave to Van was beautiful and very touching. How I love my family. Of course this silly grandma didn't get any pictures because of the huge dinner they had afterwards and all the people that was in attendance. I'm praying that Mark and Tara took pictures and they will share with us. Van is growing and is now smiling. Each of our Grandchildren are such a joy and great blessing. We just can't get enough of being around them. I guess that is way we try to do everything possible to spend as much time with them as we can, even though we greatly miss seeing two of them that are so far away. Our lives are full, what more could we ask for.

6 comments:

Grandma Labrum said...

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary! I remember when you two met. Maybe not the exact day, but I am sure band class had something to do with it. What a cute picture. Brings back great memories. Hope you have 35 more.

Grimm Family blog said...

wow I can't believe how much mark looks like dad in that picture. pretty crazy. Thanks for the update

Becca said...

Congrats on so many years. That's so great. What role models you are for us younger couples still working on it. Way to go!

Wendy said...

Congratulations on your wedding anniversary milestone! Seems like it was only a few short years ago . . . as someone once said, the days are long and the years are short!

I'm sure your sweet David has looked down upon you and the rest of the family many times over the years.

That is great that you were able to witness another blessing for a grandchild.

Kassy said...

Man you guys are old! just kidding. You are a great example to all of us kids. You and dad are so wonderful and I am glad that you want to be around the grandkids. It makes sucha difference. Thanks a million.

Toni Dee! said...

This was a beautiful tender post, thanks for sharing those sacred thoughts and reminding me today of what's most important! I loved seeing the pictures too - I don't think I ever have.