Monday, December 15, 2008

Family Traditions are back

For several years we would take the kids to Salt Lake before Christmas to see the lights, go shopping and eat a good meal. We each have great memories of these times together; losing Mark at the Festival of Trees, getting pulled over in our new mini-van when we didn't have tail lights, standing on the platform waiting for the train to come and Cyrena doing a little dance to keep warm. These are just a few. The last couple of years we have let life get in our way and have let the tradition die. This year I decided that no matter what we were going to Salt Lake. I did worry about the big storm that was scheduled for Saturday but with faith and prayer we loaded up the Jeep and headed north. We were very grateful to have Danielle and the kids join us this year. Nicholas had to work. We met the other kids for dinner and to see the lights at Thanksgiving Point. We were able to drive through this beautiful display and the kids were excited. To see Christmas through the eyes of a child is a great gift. They loved being able to also see the reindeer. Josh was the first one to reach out to the animals and didn't want them to move away from him. Ashton wanted to get in the pen with them and kept trying to climb over the fence. It took Kyler a little while to warm up to them. In fact we had to leave the reindeer and then come back to them. But after that Kyler didn't want to leave. Lexie liked them but she was more interested in the gift shop. She seen a beautiful baby's dress and immediately went to that just to touch it.

Paul tried to get a picture with the reindeer and the kids but it was a little bit to dark. We did have a great time.



On Saturday coming home was a little bit interesting. I was glad that we had waited the storm out a little bit. Kassy kept me entertained by treating me to a movie "Twilight". Paul, Michael and Josh had great fun shopping. The way home was slow but we didn't have to many problems other than my Jeep being covered with salt and ice.

I hope and pray this tradition will continue on in the years to come. It is one of my favorites, other than our Christmas candles that I hope I will be able to post about in a couple of weeks.

2 comments:

Toni Dee! said...

Family traditions rock! I was thinking the other day of the ice candles your family used to make, how did you do that? I'd like to start that tradition with my little family - at least leaving one on our porch to remember our loved ones who have passed since we're not close to the right cemetaries :) Anyway, I just sent Grandma her Christmas pictures today and our address is 1706 Creekway Dr, Lewisville TX 75067. Thanks for keeping her on our blog, it's the best way to see our family growing and I'm so thankful that she can see it!

Sara said...

I just had to pop on real quick and say thank you SOOOO much for Constance's blanket it is beautiful!!! It matches her room sooo well and is sooo soft!!! You are an amazing woman, THANK YOU!